Your first student finance instalment may appear to be a lot of money to start with, but it needs to last more than three months.

Leeds Trinity University students share their experiences of managing their money in the video below.

We've also put together some tips for budgeting and earning extra money.

The information on these pages is applicable to UK full-time undergraduate students only.

Part-time work

You can earn some extra money to help cover your living expenses while at university with a part-time job.

It's important to get the work-life-study balance right though. You'll need a job that's flexible and can fit around your study schedule.

Our Careers+Placements team can help you find a job, write your CV and prepare for interviews.

Interest-free overdraft

You may wish to open a student bank account with an interest-free overdraft.

It's important that you check the actual conditions of an overdraft as some may only be interest-free up to a certain level.

Overdrafts for students are on average £500–£1,000 for the first year, increasing to £1,500-£2,000 or more in your final year.

The Money Saving Expert website has some good advice to help you choose the right account for you.

 Be aware that if you don't manage your account well your bank can refuse to extend your overdraft in subsequent academic years and/or remove your overdraft facility.

Universal Credit and benefits

Most full-time students are not eligible to claim any welfare benefits from the Government.

Full-time students who are lone parents, or who are receiving Personal Independence Payments (and are classed as being unable to work), fall into categories of students who may be able to apply for Universal Credit.

Some of your student income will count in the assessment, as well as any other income you receive.

If you are currently in receipt of any benefits, then it's important that you contact the relevant benefits agency to advise them that you are becoming a student and inform them of your student finance income.

Council Tax

All full-time UK, EU and international students are usually exempt from paying Council Tax.

Part-time students are not exempt.

If you live in a house with, for example, five students and two non-students, the two non-students would be eligible for the full Council Tax bill.

If you live with one other adult who is not exempt, they would be liable for the Council Tax bill but would receive a 25% single-person discount.

There are exceptions to this rule, for example, if you rent out a property or have two homes.

For more information visit the Council Tax information pages for students on the UK Government website.

Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield councils

Leeds Trinity will automatically inform your council that you're a student if you live in the local area of Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield after you've been fully registered on your course.

To claim your council tax exemption, please complete the online student discount exemption forms from the Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield council websites.

If you live in other areas, you'll be able to get a council tax exemption letter to provide to your local council from Leeds Trinity once you've registered on your course, .

Two student talking in the bedroom of halls.

How to budget

Top tips for making your money go further

Tell me more!
three students playing pool.

Money management

Maximise your income and minimise your expenditure

Tell me more!

Contact us

You can contact the Leeds Trinity Money Advice service with your questions and queries by email: