Before coming to study at Leeds Trinity you'll need to ensure that you've obtained the right type of visa to study in the UK.

We know that this process might be new to you, but don’t worry, we're here to help.

Do I need a visa?

The best place to start is to check if you need a visa on the UK Government website:

The UK is no longer part of the European Union, so EU/EEA and Swiss nationals are subject to immigration controls.  You do not need a visa if you have an immigration status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Irish nationals do not need permission to live and study in the UK.

The type of visa you need depends on your nationality, duration of studies and whether you need to work in the UK or want to bring your family.

Student visa

If you will be studying with us for longer than six months, you need to apply for a Student visa (formerly Tier 4). Please see more information on the UK Government website.

Step 1 – Accept your offer and pay the tuition fee deposit

Once you've accepted your unconditional offer and paid your 50% tuition fee deposit, we will process your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) – which is needed for your Student visa application to be approved.

Step 2 – Gather documents for visa application

  • You will need to ensure that you have all the necessary documents, including the original academic and English language qualification documents used to obtain your offer and CAS.
  • You will need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the 'immigration health surcharge' or IHS) as part of your Student visa application. Please see more info on the UK Government website.
  • You will also need to show you have money to cover your remaining unpaid tuition fees and living costs. You'll need to submit evidence confirming that you have £1,023 for each month of the course up to a maximum of nine months, totalling £9,207, plus any unpaid tuition fees. The bank statement must cover a period of more than 28 days.
    If you're using a bank account statement for an account outside the UK you should refer to the Home Office list of financial institutions that don't satisfactorily verify financial statements before using the account as evidence of your money.
  • You will need to check if you require a TB certificate on the Government website and email it to us if so.
  • You will need to pay the visa application fee (currently £348)

Step 3 – Apply for your visa

Leeds Trinity is proud to offer free legal support to students seeking to obtain a Student visa. Our immigration advisers will check all your documents to increase your chances of a positive outcome. While you will be required to pay the visa application fees and immigration health surcharge, there is no additional charge for the services provided by our immigration partner and/or Leeds Trinity.

Please note: you may have to undertake a Home Office Credibility Interview as part of the visa application process. The Credibility Interview may ask questions relating to your Leeds Trinity programme, your knowledge of Leeds, your motivations for study and your intentions after studying with us.

Please do not arrive in the UK before the start date on your Student Visa.

For more information and guidelines, please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

Standard Visitor visa

If you will be studying at Leeds Trinity for less than six months (e.g. as an exchange student) and do not intend to work or volunteer in the UK, you can enter under the ‘standard visitor’ route.

Please see more info on the UK Government website.

  • If you normally require a visa to visit the UK (are a ‘visa national’ under UK Immigration Rules), you need to obtain a Standard Visitor visa before you travel. You can apply online but need to visit a Visa Application Centre in your country.
  • If you normally do not require a visa to visit the UK, you can obtain ‘entry clearance’ on the border and do not need to hold a visa before you travel. Please make sure that you retain evidence of the date and place of entry to the UK and leave the country before 6 months have passed.

This immigration route has restrictions around bringing family members, the ability to work and switching to other types of visas, so please consider your options carefully.

Students coming on a standard visitor route do not need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, but you will need to obtain private medical insurance as you will be liable for any National Health Services that you use unless an exemption applies, or you are covered by a reciprocal healthcare agreement. Please see more info on healthcare on the UKCISA website.

Visa and immigration FAQs

Read our answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding visas and immigration.

Read our FAQs
Peer Support Champions chatting in the Andrew Kean Learning Centre.