As a Leeds Trinity University student, we will actively encourage you to spend time studying abroad.
You'll make new friends, develop new skills and have life-changing experiences. Students who spend time abroad gain a maturity and outlook that prospective employers love.
You may also have the opportunity to learn or improve a second language. And going abroad is actually really affordable.
Study abroad options
You will study one semester of your second year at one of our partner universities.
- You will take modules which match with your LTU course
- This semester counts as part of your degree, but results do not affect your degree classification
- You will get to experience how your discipline is taught in another country
- You will pay tuition fee to LTU as normal – no extra fee for participating in the programme other than travel and usual living expenses
Full year abroad
You will go abroad after second year of your course and study for a full academic year at one our partner universities. You will then return to Leeds Trinity to complete your final year and with all the extra knowledge and experience under your belt will graduate from a four-year course with ‘International’ added to your degree.
- You can study at any partner university so will have a choice between 30+ destinations across the world
- In this extra year you can go in depth in a particular aspect of your academic discipline or mix and match modules from any subject of your interest. You can even learn a new language!
- Your tuition fee for the ‘sandwich-year’ is capped (currently £1,385*). More education at a fraction of the usual cost! And you can still receive student loans.
- Get to the full experience of living in another culture and country and make friends for life.
Short programmes are normally two- to four-week summer or winter schools organised by our partner universities abroad. You’ll travel with other LTU students and will often have a chance to meet likeminded people from around the world.
Short programmes may focus on introducing a new language and culture or be specifically dedicated to one academic area. How about going to Malaysia to learn how to do business in Asia? Or why not spend two weeks in Japan learning Japanese?
Study abroad destinations
We partner with universities, institutions, employers and charities across the world to give you amazing opportunities to have an international experience. From Australia and the USA, to Italy and Malaysia – the world is yours to explore!
Fees and Funding
Leeds Trinity is committed to making studying abroad affordable for every student. Study Abroad team will work with you on an individual basis, advising on suitable destinations and funding schemes.
Students participating in the study abroad will pay tuition fees the same way as any other student, directly to Leeds Trinity University. Tuition fee for ‘sandwich year’ abroad is capped at 15% of the normal fee. You will not pay any tuition fees to the partner institution. Some universities may however charge for additional things such as books, Student Union membership and International Student Orientation Programme.
Student grants and loans
UK students can usually apply for a Maintenance Loan to help pay for living costs while studying abroad and a Tuition Fee Loan. You may be entitled to a travel grant to help with some extra costs like.
Erasmus+ grants are available to students studying at one of LTU's Erasmus+ partners in Europe. Eligible students receive a grant of ca £350/month which helps you pay for your living costs abroad. Extra funding is available for students with special needs and for those from disadvantaged backgrounds. Our current Erasmus programme is running until May 2022.
Leeds Trinity University's Inspiring Futures Programme can offer financial support for undergraduate students who study abroad at our partner universities outside of Europe and are not eligible for Erasmus+ funding. Find out more here.
Any students who study abroad and do not receive either the Inspiring Futures or Erasmus+ funding are eligible to receive a Leeds Trinity University Travel Award of £250.
Partner University Scholarships
Some of our partner institutions offer merit-based scholarships for incoming exchange students. We help you to apply for these alongside any other funding.