UCAS tariff points
- Do you dream of a business career that takes you around the world?
- Do you want to understand what it takes to engage with international markets?
- Are you interested in how and why companies operate internationally?
As technology continues to close the gap between countries, international markets are within every company’s reach. Most businesses now have international operations, international consumers or compete internationally. Our International Business degree aims to prepare you for a career as a business leader, enabling you to develop the essential knowledge and skills to effectively navigate and operate in the international business and management environment.
This four-year course includes an initial full-time Foundation Year and offers an alternative route into university and gaining a degree.
This route is for you if you do not have the necessary qualifications or don’t yet feel ready to begin degree-level study, or are returning to education and would like some support to get up to speed with learning in a university setting.
The Foundation Year in Business will allow you to develop your academic skills and confidence as well as introduce you to key concepts, debates and skills that will support and inform your subsequent years of undergraduate study.
Following successful completion of your Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto Year 1 of our International Business BA (Hons) degree.
Get a course guide
For more information on this course and similar courses, order a copy of our latest course guide.
Book your place on a Campus Tour and get a feel for life at Leeds Trinity.
Ask a question
If you've got a question about this course, why not ask our academics and get the answers you need?
About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to the key principles of business operations and management and learn about starting a business and the fundamentals of marketing.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our International Business BA (Hons) degree
You’ll get a grounding in the fundamental principles of business, marketing and accounting, exploring each of these from a global perspective.
This degree aims to support you to develop the skills needed to become a future business leader. You’ll gain an understanding of how and why companies operate internationally, how to manage and communicate with colleagues from different cultures, as well as how to develop, adapt and market products for international markets.
Many of your modules will give you the opportunity to focus on specific countries and regions, analysing business practice and culture across varied parts of the world. You’ll explore how and why companies choose to internationalise and will select companies to investigate in detail in industries that interest you. You’ll learn in and out of the classroom, with opportunities to meet expert speakers from different sectors of the economy.
You’ll put theory into practice with professional work placements – with the option to work in a business operating internationally from the UK or in an international setting. You’ll also have the opportunity to study abroad and complete work-based international business research projects.
In your final year, you can deliver a professional work-based project in conjunction with an employer of your choice.
You’ll graduate with the confidence, skills and commitment required to make a successful impact in an international business environment.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Learn from the experts. Our lecturers are experienced business and marketing practitioners, many of whom have also held senior positions in major multi-national companies.
- Build your professional experience. You’ll have the opportunity to undertake professional work placements in an international business context and network with guest speakers with international business expertise.
- Immerse yourself in international business. You’ll learn about business through an international lens, plus you’ll have the opportunity to study at one of our international partner universities.
You will study a variety of modules across your programme of study. The module details given below are subject to change and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
Modules by Year
Core modules (students are required to take):
- Academic Skills and Studying with Confidence
We'll help you develop core academic skills such as using electronic resources, planning and note-taking, communication skills related to essay and report writing and delivering presentations. You'll learn how to manage your time, how to prioritise and how to manage stress, and you’ll become more confident in engaging with collaborative learning, debates, discussions and critical reflection.
You’ll study an area of interest related to your chosen degree. You’ll work individually on your project, whether that's a written report, a presentation and oral examination, a film or a series of blog posts. You’ll undertake problem-solving learning, and formative feedback and support will be provided throughout, helping develop your self-confidence.
- Introduction to Business Operations and Management
This module aims to introduce you to business objectives, practices and principles through case study research, lectures, workshops and student-led activities. You will look at the supply chain and logistics, production and project management as well as business organisation, human resources and the principles of leadership.
- Starting a Business and Fundamentals of Marketing
You will examine the modern business environment and how 'start-up' businesses grow as technology advances. You will focus on sustainability and the opportunities or limitations small businesses face, as well as developing your own concepts and business plans through a series of lectures, workshops, course work and group work.
Core modules (students are required to take):
- Management and Organisational Behaviour
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Ethics, Society and Employability
- Operations Management
- Principles and Applications of Macroeconomics
- Integrated Assessment
Core modules (students are required to take):
- Financial Management
- Principles of International Business
- Professional Development and Placement
- Marketing Communications
- Business Research
- People Management
Core modules (students are required to take):
- e-business and e-marketing
- Business and Management Strategy
- International Marketing
- International Management
Students are also required to choose one option module from:
- Research Project
- Professional Learning Through Work
And one option modules from:
- Entrepreneurship and Creativity
- Project Management
- Financial Reporting
*There is a pre-requisite for enrolment on this module
Learning and Teaching
At Leeds Trinity we aim to provide an excellent student experience and provide you with the tools and support to help you achieve your academic, personal and professional potential.
Our Learning, Teaching and Assessment Strategy delivers excellence by providing the framework for:
- high quality teaching
- an engaging and inclusive approach to learning, assessment and achievement
- a clear structure through which you progress in your academic studies, your personal development and towards professional-level employment or further study.
We have a strong reputation for developing student employability, supporting your development towards graduate employment, with relevant skills embedded throughout your programme of study.
We endeavour to develop curiosity, confidence, courage, ambition and aspiration in all students through the key themes in our Learning and Teaching Strategy:
- Student Involvement and Engagement
- Integrated Programme and Assessment Experience
- Digital Literacy and Skills
- Employability and Enterprise
To help you achieve your potential we emphasise learning as a collaborative process, with a range of student-led and real-world activities. This approach ensures that you fully engage in shaping your own learning, developing your critical thinking and reflective skills so that you can identify your own strengths and weaknesses, and use the extensive learning support system we offer to shape your own development.
We believe the secret to great learning and teaching is simple: it is about creating an inclusive learning experience that allows all students to thrive through:
- Personalised support
- Expert lecturers
- Strong connections with employers
- An international outlook
- Understanding how to use tools and technology to support learning and development
Your time on campus, learning through in-person teaching, is at the heart of your academic experience and the way we deliver our programmes. This is supported and further enhanced by additional engagement activities and opportunities provided online and through digital teaching materials. This blended approach seeks to ensure a positive learning and teaching student experience.
Your programme of study has been carefully designed around a three-phase model of delivery:
- Preparation: You will be given clear tasks to support you in preparing for live teaching. This could include watching a short-pre-recorded lecture, reading a paper or text chapter or preparing other material for use in class.
- Live: All your live teaching will be designed around active learning, providing you with valuable opportunities to build on preparation tasks, interact with staff and peers, and surface any misunderstandings.
- Post: Follow-up activities will include opportunities for you to check understanding, for staff to receive feedback from you and your peers to inform subsequent sessions, and for you to apply learning to new situations or context.
Preparation, Live and Post teaching and learning and the digital materials used will vary by course, but will be designed to help you structure your learning, take a full and active part in your course, and apply and test your developing knowledge and skills.
A variety of assessment methods are used, matched to the learning outcomes for your programme, allowing you to apply and demonstrate the full range of knowledge and skills that you have developed.
For more details on specific assessment methods for this course contact email@example.com
Leeds Trinity University is committed to recruiting students with talent and potential and who we feel will benefit greatly from their academic and non-academic experiences here. We treat every application on its own merits; we value highly the experience you illustrate in your personal statement.
The following information is designed to give you a general overview of the qualifications we accept. If you are taking qualifications that are not included below, including the recently introduced T Levels, please contact our Admissions Office who will be happy to advise you.
|GCSE requirements||GCSE English Language at grade C or 4 or above|
Applications are welcome from mature students with few or no formal qualifications.
Any previous relevant work experience and learning will be assessed and, where appropriate, accredited as part of the application process.
This course is not available to students on a Student Route Visa.
Fees and Funding
UK Home Students:
Tuition fees cost £9,250 a year for this course in 2022/2023.
Part-time tuition fees will be prorated accordingly to the number of credits you're studying.
Depending on government policy, tuition fees may rise with inflation in future years.
Tuition fees for 2023/24 entry will be set in summer 2022.
Leeds Trinity offers a range of bursaries and scholarships to help support students while you study.
We advise students that there may be additional course costs in addition to annual tuition fees:
- Recommended and required reading lists will be provided at the start of your course. All the books and e-books are available from our Library to borrow but you may choose to purchase your own.
- On some courses there may be additional costs, such as field trips, equipment, accreditations, that may be part-funded by the University. More details will be provided at the start of the course.
- You'll need to include placement/s travel and associated costs too, however the University will contribute a standard amount towards your total expenditure.
- The University provides students with a £6 printing credit each academic year which can be topped up either on campus or online.
How to apply
For full-time undergraduate courses, you apply through UCAS. That's the University and Colleges Admissions Service.
On your application form, you'll need to know our institution code - it's L24 - and the course code. If you click through to the UCAS website using the button below, it'll take you to the right place with all the information you need.
You can now submit your application for courses starting in September 2022. Your application should be submitted to UCAS by 26 January 2022.
You'll also need to write a personal statement - we've prepared a guide to help you.
There's lots more information about the application process on the UCAS website, or you can get in touch with our admissions team who will be happy to help:
Professional work placements are integral to our degree programmes. Students have completed placements at the Arcadia Group, Smart Aid and British African Business Links, as well as at start-ups.
This degree will prepare you for a professional career in international business and management. You’ll be able to develop the skills and knowledge to join companies operating in the UK and internationally in roles within the marketing, business/customer development, human resources, supply chain and finance functions of all sectors.
What is Discover Uni?
Discover Uni is the official, authoritative source of information and guidance on higher education in the UK. The website allows you to search for and compare data and information on university and college programmes from across the UK.
It helps you make sense of all the information out there by linking to other quality resources and explaining what they can find where. It also allows you to search for and compare information and data for individual undergraduate courses across the UK.