About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll develop an understanding of the tools used by journalists and content creators, how to spot a story and how to produce content for various media platforms. You’ll be introduced to various types of media, both in theory and practice, and will learn about the skills and concepts required by the creative industries.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Broadcast Journalism BA (Hons) degree.
Throughout this course you will gain detailed knowledge and understanding of the key historical, political, economic, social and cultural contexts of the news media, as well as developing the vital knowledge of media law required for broadcasting.
You’ll learn how to write for the broadcast media, as well as developing transferable multi-media skills relevant for broadcast journalism, content creation and other news-related communication fields.
Experience is crucial, so you’ll put your broadcast journalism skills into practice by completing professional work placements during your degree. You'll live broadcast for Bradford Community Radio as well as report for our TV news magazine show Yorkshire Voice. You’ll also have the opportunity to gain additional work experience in your final year, working with an employer on a live, long-term project.
Our course is highly valued by employers thanks to its Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC) accreditation, which recognises its relevance and responsiveness to the operational demands of the broadcast industry.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Learn from the experts. Our lecturers are award-winning with extensive industry experience.
- Develop your practical skills. You’ll learn in our industry-standard broadcast studios on campus.
- Build your professional networks. Our excellent professional links across a wide range of newsrooms will give you the chance to make contacts and hear from experts.
- Impress employers. This course is accredited by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council.
The Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC) has accredited our course since it began in 2013. This is an on going, rigorous process to ensure we continue to meet standards. Students who complete all requirements will graduate with a BJTC certificate.